Thursday, May 3, 2007

The Wright Cousins


Reuben Wright was born in Steuben County, New York. He moved with his family to Wisconsin. He was proud to say he was one of the first in line to answer President Lincoln's call for 75,000 volunteers. He enlisted April 18th, 1861 as a private in Company B, 2nd Infantry Regimentat Madison, Wisconsin. The unit was mustered in June 11th, 1861. The 2nd Infantry was attached to Sherman's Brigade in Taylor's Division of McDowell's Army stationed at Fort Corcoran. Rendered service in the advance on Manassas, July 16-21, 1861 and the occupation of Fairfax Court House July 17th. Saw action at Blackburn's Ford on July 18th. Fought in the Battle of Bull Run on July 21th. Served in defenses of Washington. Promoted to Full Corporal. Discharged due to disability January 4th, 1863.

Rueben's cousin John B Wright, of Mauston, Wisconsin enlisted on October 3rd, 1861
and served as a Sergeant in Company I, 8th Infantry Regiment.
He was wounded at the Battle of Corinth in Mississippi and mustered out Company I, on September 16th in 1864.

His other cousin,Orin L. Wright, from Mackford, Wisconsin enlisted on August 31th, 1864 as a private in Company M, 1st Heavy Artillery Regiment. Discharged due to disability on January 28th, 1865.

Lambert Wright , from Mackford, Wisconsin enlisted on January 2nd, 1864 in Company I, 3rd Infantry Regiment. He was absent from Company I due to illness and mustered out on July 18th, 1865.

Another one of the cousins from Mackford was my GGG-Grandfather, Ransom K Wright. He enlisted on August 31st in 1864 and served as a drummer boy in Company M, 1st Heavy Artillery Regiment. Mustered out on June 26th in 1865.
His parents were R. G. and Clarissa A. Wright from New York. He had a little brother named Randolph who was too young to fight. Ransom lied about his age just to get into the army and serve alongside his older cousins. Ransom caught tuberculious during the war, possibly from his cousin Lambert who was very ill with some disease. Ransom survived the war, married and had a child before succumbing to the disease.
My Grandfather was named after him.

3 comments:

mntineer said...

This is a very nice uniform study. Bring on more! :-)

Blue Bellied Yank said...

Thanks. It seems that 1861 was a short year, I got a bit ahead of myself by introducing soldiers who had yet to enlist. I thought I'd group these soldiers together since they were all relatives.

s1993 said...

Orin Wright is my GGG, I have his inkwell that he carried. I also think I have a roster showing Him and Ransom in Company M.